A letter to MPP Peter North written 25 years ago by my father...






A letter to MPP Peter North written 25 years ago by my father.  You may notice something surprising (or not)—NOTHING has changed!

October 15, 1991

HON. Peter North
Ontario Legislature
Queens Park
Toronto, Ontario
M5S 2C7

Dear Peter:

Subject: Summer Home, 103 Hastings Drive, Long Point, Ontario

On December 2, 1985 a major storm occurred on Lake Erie. This storm caused major damage along the north shore of the lake. My property was severely damaged by high water. The insurance company rejected my claim for damages.

On December 22th, a meeting was held in Langton (see attached letter from Long Point Rate Payers Association) in which the  Mayor of the Township of Norfolk stated that anyone who suffered damage on Hasting Drive would be allowed to have a trailer on their property. It was also stated that a by-law would be passed to prevent anyone from building new buildings.

In the spring of 1986, I removed the debris from my lot and dismantled most of what was left of my cottage.  I saved one bedroom and put a new style roof on it.  I then had a contractor level the lot and dump several loads of clay on the lot.
.           .
Sometime in August 1990 I received a registered letter from the township, stating that I build a new building without a permit and that I also had a trailer illegally sitting on my lot. I paid the building inspector a visit sometime in August with my wife to discuss the matter.  I explained that I did not build a new building, he agreed and said the building could stay.  I explained that the Mayor had given me permission to park my trailer on my damaged lot, he agreed.

On August 14, 1991 I received a SUMMONS to appear in court on August 27, 1991 (see attached), for unlawfully constructing a building in the Township of Norfolk. I immediately called my lawyer Mr. Monty Fordham and gave him all the information and documentation, and he arranged for a delay.

I have since heard that summons have been issued to property owners all over Long Point but more on Hasting Drive than any other area. The township does not maintain this road and it has more traffic on it than most roads in the township.

This is an issue that should be settled, by the Province of Ontario.  Property owners must be given fair treatment.  I am tired of being harassed and threatened every year just because I own property on Hastings Drive.

Please reply at your earliest convenience.


G.D. Body


cc: Hon. Ken Monteith
      Mr. Monty Fordham         


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Battle for Hastings Overview

The Story of Hastings